Wednesday, October 11, 2006

And sometimes that's all that matters

Should I be growing weary of plog-writing by the fifth post?

Violin:
I made good headway today into solving the arm vs. hand struggle. While demanding that my arm remain relaxed and connected, I found several things to help the hand. The most important one seemed to be related to the in/out idea my old teacher always talked about. It was always, out on the down bow, in on the up bow. A couple weeks ago I thought I had finally discovered what he was talking about, when I felt how helpful it was to open up and move from the elbow, making what I felt to be an in and out feeling. But today I think I have found more to the concept, involving the hand. In an effort to find a way to move the hand with the fingers in a way that wouldn't cause tension, I noticed that instead of pushing the hand down onto the bow, it helped to feel that I was moving it along the bow, while keeping the fingers stationary. This motion required that all my joints be relaxed, and once I had worked it into my down and up bows, it helped produce a good sound at the beginnings of notes, and helped me stay in control. The motion felt like a little pull on the bow that issued directly from the hand, and drew the fingers with it. The quick motion would bring my whole arm in and out, and thus seemed to be an element of the in/out thing. More will come to light tomorrow.

Life: This girl asked me today whether she should continue dating someone who she found out has herpes. I thought it would be fine cause she could just wait until it goes away, but I didn't realize that it stays in your body FOREVER. So I was thinking, maybe violin isn't such a harsh mistress, I mean, a big callus on your neck is a lot better than open sores on your lips. Women are just too troublesome.

Practice Time: 4 hours

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home