Sunday, October 15, 2006

So does everyone else

Violin: Today I kept working on developing a relaxed hand. I was eventually able to quickly remind my hand of what it should feel like, when playing new material. The problem is, of course, that as I am trying to change a huge aspect of my technique, every thing I've been working on has to be redone with this new feeling in mind. As I worked I found that remembering to keep the thumb involved and relaxed was just as important as monitoring the upper fingers, and that the ring and pinky fingers can play a very small role for the most part, mostly just resting on top of the bow. As I worked through several pages of music, the necessity of keeping the knuckles and the elbow connected was quite apparent, and it helped to link the hand with the upper arm. It made me compare the hand and knuckles to the upper arm and elbow, like two similar little systems. The same is probably true of the lower arm and wrist. Perhaps getting all three of these pieces working together will produce good results. I felt even today, though, that I was able to get a new sound from my violin that I liked and that I don't think I had heard before. And to be able to make a down bow without having this awful feeling in my hand was like heaven. This is the right road for now.

Life: I was contacted today by two old friends of mine, both of whom were girls, and both of whom it seemed had recently ended a relationship with a serious boyfriend. Women are funny that way, you know, they can't help but do the rebound thing. How many times have I been the rebound. I don't even know. At least they are both far away and I don't have to worry about them. I was just thinking today about how nice it has been not having to deal with women and their problems. Not to say that I don't appreciate them anymore, but being single has its perks.

Practice Time: 2.5 hours

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home